Do you have a vacation coming up? Planning on getting away from it all? One of the fun things that we do on vacations is indulge in fun and different foods and drinks. But unfortunately, this can also lead to us feeling unhealthy and sluggish because our bodies are getting lots of extra fat, sugar and alcohol. Here are seven ways to feel great on your vacation while still being able to indulge in some yummy treats!
- Bring plenty of bottled water. This will help you to stay hydrated, decrease your cravings for sugary drinks and will give you tons of energy because your body is energized by water! Okay, you can put a little flavoring in it if you need to. But please note that soda, tea, coffee and seltzers are not water and won’t hydrate you well. Have those fun drinks in addition to regular water breaks!
- Bring healthy options for breakfast and skip the sausage and pancakes. I know, you want to get your money’s worth at your hotel and love those “free” breakfasts. But breakfast that is laden with high fat, sugar and refined flour, like in pancakes, waffles and pastries, can have you begin your day feeling slow and heavy. Replace this meal with a healthy whole grain breakfast bar, fruit, instant oatmeal, etc. to energize your body to begin the day. Save your vacation treats for later in the day, and you’ll have more energy for a full day of fun!
- Start your meals with water and a salad or fruit. After that you can eat that amazing sandwich or meal at your favorite vacation restaurant. Enjoy the meal, but remind yourself that you don’t have to eat every bite! You’ll feel better wasting a little food rather than feeling stuffed to the gills. Is there a fridge where you’re staying? Bring back the leftovers and eat them when you feel a snack urge coming on later in the day.
- Bring healthy snacks with you wherever you go. My husband and I enjoy bringing small bags of popcorn, protein bars, fruits and veggies to snack on. This saves tons of money and calories, and we feel so much better throughout the day!
- Enjoying some fun alcoholic beverages? Change it up by having a cocktail and then having a glass of water. You’ll feel better and be able to enjoy yourself more instead of not wanting to move from your chair or feeling sick later.
- Get moving! If your vacation doesn’t already have hiking, walking or movement mixed into the day, then add some! Plan walks around the area, swimming or other activities that will get you up and moving. Even small movements can make a big difference.
- Get a free physical therapy evaluation. You want to be at your most active and healthy on your vacation, and at Innovate Physical Therapy we want to help you do that. That’s why we offer free physical therapy evaluations, to make sure that you are ready for all of the fun activities you have planned! Call us at (402) 682-4210 and we’d be happy to talk to you about what you need to be at your best.
I love a great vacation with great food, relaxation and fun! But I have also learned that in order for me to enjoy myself to the fullest I need to be feeling good. Consider the above suggestions, and don’t forget to have a blast on your next vacation. Self-care is so important! We all need a break. Just don’t forget to take care of your body while you’re doing it, and you’ll come home feeling amazing!
–Kathy Ramaekers, OTR/L, CHT
Innovate Physical Therapy